CT EMSC is excited to recognize the following 21 hospitals who have committed to participate in the Always Ready for Children (ARC) Improvement Program in 2018. These EDs have designated a PEDIATRIC CHAMPION and submitted a letter of commitment (signed off by physician leadership, nursing leadership and an executive sponsor). The pediatric champions from across the state will work locally as well as together with CT EMSC in a community of practice.
Participating hospitals will receive free access to educational modules, guidelines and other resources. At the end of last year participating hospitals received a pediatric facility recognition. This recognition was administered by CT EMSC and includes a plaque to be posted on their unit as well as a press release to communicate their participation in the ARC program.
Eight of these hospitals (*) have committed to participating in the intensive National Pediatric Readiness Quality Collaborative (NPRQC) from January 2018-April 2020:
1. Backus Hospital
2. Bridgeport Hospital
3. Bristol Hospital
4. Charlotte Hungerford Hospital *
5. Connecticut Children’s Medical Center *
6. Danbury Hospital
7. Greenwich Hospital *
8. Griffin Hospital
9. Hartford Hospital
10. Hospital of Central CT *
11. John Dempsey Hospital (UCONN)*
12. Lawrence and Memorial Hospital
13. Manchester Memorial
14. Middlesex Hospital
15. MidState Medical Center
16. Milford Hospital
17. New Milford Hospital
18. Norwalk Hospital
19. Pequot Medical Center
20. Rockville General Hospital
21. Sharon Hospital
22. St Mary’s Hospital *
23. St Vincent’s Hospital
24. Stamford Hospital *
25. Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital *
26. Yale New Haven Hospital, Saint Raphael Campus *
27. Windham Hospital
Pediatric champions from these sites are currently undergoing QI training, participating in focused work related to vital signs/weights/transfers/disasters. Teams have been receiving ongoing support from national EMSC and engaged in quarterly meetings.
Pediatric Readiness Quality Collaborative (PRQC)
The EMSC Innovation and Improvement Center is spearheading a QI collaborative to assist state programs in improving the pediatric readiness of EDs through new interventions. Twenty teams composed of training and affiliate sites are being guided to develop local quality improvement efforts to foster pediatric readiness.
BENEFITS FOR YOU/YOUR HOSPITAL (FREE):
· All participating sites will receive a letter from the HRSA EMS for Children Program acknowledging
their participation, achievements, and dedication to meeting the emergency care needs of children.
· All Trainers are receiving mentoring by a national QI specialist and content coach
· All Trainers and Pediatric Champions (whether an affiliate or training site) are currently undergoing QI training
and receiving ongoing support to facilitate collaborative activities
· Physicians can earn Maintenance of Certification Part IV credit for participation in collaborative and
· Nurses can receive Continuing Nursing Education credit for participation in all educational activities
Each intervention will form the basis for local and regional quality improvement efforts as part of the collaborative activities. Our team is working with the Pediatric Champion(s) at what the collaborative terms “Affiliate Sites” to develop and implement QI plans targeting key gaps in pediatric readiness:
1) A patient safety initiative focused on collecting and documenting pediatric patients’ weight in kilograms
2) Developing a notification process for abnormal vital signs
3) Ensuring inter-facility transfer guidelines are patient and family centered
4) Establishing disaster plans that include children
Contact if you are interested.
For further information:
In the summer of 2018, we collaborated with EMNet on an initiative to have, at least one, designated Pediatric Champion at each of the hospitals within our state.
We are excited to announce that we now have reached…………100%!
A big thank you to the Pediatric Champions, as well as the hospitals’ leadership teams for their support and dedication! We look forward to working together.